Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pretending to be a quilter.

It is quite fun to look at examples of cards and then try to make one that is similar to it. I don't ever copy them exactly, but I try to get the main concept across. Today's is another quilt type card. Growing up I always remember on Thursday mornings that my Grandma would go to church for quilting. She was also one of the regular ladies who worked at funerals and always brought home cake. I still have my baby blanket that was quilted for me and given to me as a newborn by a family friend of ours that went to quilting with my Grandma. A lot of hard work goes into quilting and there are many different steps to make it happen. Quilts bring warmth to those that are cold. They bring comfort to those who feel alone. They bring comfort in many other different ways. By using a quilt design it reminds me of how cards can bring comfort and joy to those who receive them. That's what I enjoy most; making them for other people's enjoyment.

I used 2 techniques that I have previously done; the quilt blocks and embossing everything to make it look like one piece.
I took my square punch and punched the number of squares I needed. Then I cut each square in half from corner to corner creating 2 triangles. Then I took each triangle and cut them in half creating 4 triangles total out of 1 square.

I placed the triangles in a pattern to make it look like a quilt block.

This specific card took 4 "quilt blocks". When I had them all together I put them through my Cuttlebug to create a look that they are all one piece. Since quilts bring so much joy to others I added the sentiment "You make me Smile".

No comments :

Post a Comment